Monday, August 25, 2008

Meditation on how we define disability

Okay, so this isn't my idea. I'm borrowing it (because borrowing is a nicer word that stealing ;) ) from Arc. http://arcnwsptr.blogspot.com/2008/08/adventures-of-disabled-village.html

It poses and interesting question. I keep trying to convince people that for the most part, people with disabilities are not disabled as a result of our bodies limitations. I'm not disabled because the nerves in my knee go haywire. I'm disabled because the world was designed for someone else.

So I started thinking what an ideal world would look like if everyone were disabled in the way that I am. The big issue would be parking! For starters, I'd be able to find housing that's really accessible, not just workable. I'd have a place in the kitchen where I could sit in my chair and make bread without trying to sit sideways and kneed bread that's just below my eye level. Taking a shower would be easy, and I wouldn't have to worry about making sure the grab bars hit the one place where the landlord reinforced the wall. Recycling would be easy, since the recycling center would actually be setup for people with wheelchairs (I hate having to choose between not recycling and asking for help to manage it).

My workplace would be full of wide hallways where I could turn around. Copiers would be lower to the floor. Those silly "slide your card" things at grocery stores would be low enough that I don't have to memorize the pattern, because I would be able to actually see the screen. Imagine what grocery stores would look like if everything had to be within reach of a person in a chair. Of course then I would lose my edge, the healthiest and least expensive stuff is right at my eye level right now.

Oddly, in my world the ceilings wouldn't be lower. I still need to be able to stand on occasion. It helps me stay healthy and lets me keep the strength I still have.

Oh, and shoes wouldn't have stupid high heels that keep slipping down behind the footplate and dragging on the ground. Not that there is much of a use for high heels when you use a wheelchair (hey shoe people, why not have cute flats?)

No comments: