Sunday, August 24, 2008

About Time!

I admit it, I'm somewhat addicted to politics. I generally follow the major races pretty well, but my preferences has always been for the slightly smaller races. I know who represents me in the US House and Senate. They hear from me regularly. And while I can't quite see myself ever running, stranger things have happened.

So I was thrilled to see this article a few days ago. Bit by bit, the buildings of congress have become more and more accessible. Having visited, I'd say the biggest challenge is convincing the security people that it's really okay, they can scan the chair and I won't take it badly (in fairness, I was visiting on a big day, and many people there were probably VIP types).

But one place has remained inaccessible, the seat of the Speaker of the House. In one of those odd things about the house, while there is an official Speaker for the House, other congresspeople take turns sitting in that seat and running the conversation (at least in part because congresspeople are rarely actually in the room, they are there for votes, and when they are making speeches, most stuff actually happens behind the scenes). But until recently, a person who uses a wheelchair couldn't get up there to play that role.

And finally that changes. One less place that is inaccessible. An important seat of power.

It gives me hope. Access to a seat of power can only lead to more legislation that evens the playing field. My fingers are crossed!

No comments: