Sunday, May 18, 2008

Sidewalks

Several recent incidents have reminded me rather forcefully about the importance of sidewalks. For most people, they are a convenience, especially in summer when it's not hard to just walk on the grass instead.
Now, clearly I'm talking about sidewalks outside of a city, because there are usually some sort of sidewalks in cities.

http://www.southernillinoisan.com/articles/2008/05/15/front_page/24458982.txt
http://www.wfmz.com/view/?id=264730
http://www.salisburypost.com/Area/051808-saturday-wrecks
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2008/05/06/20080506hitrun0506-ON.html

Let's start by examining those "city" sidewalks. I'm regularly surprised by the number of sidewalks with massive potholes and cracks. I'm even more surprised by the fact that about half the time, the curb cuts don't line up with the crosswalks. Needless to say, these are obstacles that someone in a wheelchair is effected by. But they also effect people with strollers, and people who drag their feet a little too much. It's just plain odd. Now, the cracks are understandable. Pavement cracks in the winter, and the budget just doesn't allow for perfectly smooth sidewalks (though a few should be worked on before they swallow me whole). But I honestly don't get why the curb cuts don't line up with crosswalks. What's the point of a curb cut at a place where crossing can get me ticketed? Plus, no one is watching for me since they are so used to looking for people at the crosswalks. It's just odd. Move one or the other.

Then we look at the sidewalks, or lack thereof, outside of "cities". I can't get from my apartment to downtown (less than a mile to travel) without riding in the road. A busy road. So I drive. Now that seems like not a huge deal, after all, many people drive short distances (which is a whole other issue). But that assumes that people have a choice. I can drive, my disability doesn't stop me, but for many people that isn't an option. So then what? Do these people stay in their houses for the rest of their life? Do they ride along the side and be as careful as possible? Well, riding down the road can get you ticketed apparently. I don't even know what to say to that.

The truth is that sidewalks are seen as a nice thing to make a town more pleasant. That ignores the reality of the essential nature of a simple slab of concrete. That concrete makes it safer to navigate. Safer to emerge into the larger world. Safer to be a part of the community. So what does a lack of funding for these essentials say to people for whom they are more important than just a nice place to linger?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If I knew the answer to the sidewalk question, I wouldn't have tripped and cut myself on the endless uneven sidewalks on my campus. And since I can't drive, sidewalks are necessary for me to navigate around my town.