Monday, May 19, 2008

Defining "Disability"

I talked to someone on the phone the other day and she kept referring to people who are "differently-abled." Can I just say, I hate that term. I actually had to sit down with someone to figure out why it bothered me so much. Maybe it's because it doesn't mean anything. After all, everyone has different abilities. And maybe because it puts the problem back on people with disabilities. Which lead to a discussion of what disability means.

To me, being disabled is not at all about something that is wrong with me. It is entirely about what is wrong with the world around me. I cannot completely adapt to the world around me, and the world around me refuses to adapt to me. Oddly, most people would fine the world an easier to navigate place if it was created to be accessible to me. Ramps with railings are always better than ramps without. Curb cuts are helpful to people with young children in strollers. And how many people trip each year because they didn't notice that step into a store? But the world has not adjusted to accept me. Instead, they look at me and feel pity. I don't want your pity. I want your help. Show up at a town meeting and ask why the town doesn't have sidewalks, or curb cuts, or why the local police station has three steps to get into it. Question store owners why they haven't put in ramps.

Sidetrack: A co-worker asked me if I had tried a restaurant not far from where I work. I replied that I would love to, and I would love it if the next time she went she would pick up an order for me. She gave me a look like I was crazy, why didn't I just get it myself. And then I pointed out that there are two steps into the building. I'm fascinated by watching people growing in their awareness just by getting to know me.

My disability doesn't stop me from doing much. Or rather, it wouldn't if the world was accessible. Some things can't be fixed. Hills will never be my favorite thing, and I'm not expecting to see the world take a giant bulldozer and flatten everything for me (actually, I would be pissed if they did). And snow and ice will come every winter. Though they could plow in less than 2 days. And I haven't figured out how to go back to being a springboard diver (but I'm open to suggestions).

My disability can't be erased by eliminating physical and attitudinal barriers, but it can be dulled to an annoyance. Who knows, someday the medical community might even figure out how to make my pain go away. But until then, can I get a few curb cuts?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Honestly I am all for this and I'm not disabled.

Especially curbs, I hate trying to negotiate my bike down huge curbs on corners. If it's somewhat difficult for me on a bike I can't imagine how much more difficult it would be in a wheelchair with more wheels!

Wheeling said...

The strange thing about most barrier removal changes, is that they would help a lot of people. People on bikes, crutches, using strollers, or even just having lousy knees.