Wednesday, September 3, 2008

ADA, getting a job and fear vs. reality

So, a comment over at Wheelie Catholic left me thinking. And oddly, it lead me to thinking about employment. I can't quite trace the thought line, but even if I could, I don't know that I want to screw anyone else's brain up as much as mine is. ;)

The ADA does not allow a prospective employer to ask about someone's level of disability when they interview them. That's a good thing, except when it isn't. The issue, is that because they can't ask, they also can't judge how hard/expensive accommodations will be. And I worry, that all too often, their fear keeps them from hiring me. They see a wheelchair, but they can't ask if that means I'll need a more flexible schedule, or more sick days. They can't ask if I'll need ramps, or a fully accessible bathroom. While it would be nice if every place was completely accessible, that isn't a reality yet. They can't ask if I'll need a special desk or anything. And, so, I wonder if they worry.

Part of me, wishes that they could ask me, and I could explain to them that we can work through it together, and that my needs aren't nearly as expensive as they are probably afraid of.

I wonder how many places don't hire someone, because they are creating a bigger problem in their head than actually exists in reality.

No comments: