Thursday, June 19, 2008

Shoes and fashion


So this is a very belated rant on shoes and fashion inspired in part by Wheelchair Dancer's article on shoes (Wheelchair Dancer: Name and Shame: Shaw Shoes).

Why is it that all fashions are created to only look good on people when they are standing? Seriously, I have tried on so many outfits that look great when I'm standing, but the minute I sit down I seem to gain 30 pounds and lose a waist. Or they gap in the back, and could cover my knees in the front.

Now, most people these days spend most of their time sitting, right? So wouldn't it make sense to have clothes that look decent regardless of whether people are sitting or standing? Maybe this is the real reason it's proper to rise to greet people?

They do make "wheelchair" clothes. But throw that into a search engine and you are most likely to find something like a muu muu. No offense to those of you who like them, but I'm 26, I'm not ready for a muu muu. And you want to talk about adding weight, well, I refuse to wear those things. When truly stylish clothes designed for people in wheelchairs exist, they are horribly expensive. These mostly show up as jeans or slacks. But I'm not quite ready to spend $80 on a pair of jeans.

And people wonder why I sew my own these days. Hey fashion designers, why not design something that looks okay when people are sitting?

No comments: